The Structural Engineers Association of Illinois is pleased to announce the 16th Annual Bridge Symposium, which provides a forum for engineers to share analysis, design, and construction information from recent projects with unique and/or distinguishing characteristics. Attendance typically represents a diverse cross-section of all aspects of the profession, including: design, construction management, material suppliers, academia, general contracting, and owners’ representatives.
Call For Abstracts -- January 18, 2019 deadline
Individuals wishing to present at the Symposium are invited to submit an Abstract on any general-interest subject related to the analysis, design, construction, materials, or inspection of bridge projects.
The abstract should not exceed 500 words, and authors may submit more than one abstract. You may submit an abstract for a 25-minute presentation and/or a Pearl Session (5 minutes presentations).
Click here to complete the Abstract Submission Form
Abstract Review Criteria
- Clarity: the concept and expression should be comprehensible
- Approach: including definition of the problem, hypothesis, methodology, application, results, and analysis
- Practice of Structural Engineering: should bridge the gap between theory, challenges and solution
- Originality: should report preliminary or novel results
Corresponding presenters will be notified of acceptance by the organizing committee. Additional details will be provided following acceptance. SEAOI reserves the right to reproduce information submitted as part of any symposium presentation. To read the full Call for Abstracts description, click here.
The Symposium is comprised of a single day-long session including continental breakfast, refreshments, and luncheon.
- 11 presentations (25-minutes presentation plus 5-minutes Q&A)
- 2 Pearl Sessions (5 minutes presentations), and
- 1 Keynote presentation
Attendees receive 7 PDHs/CEs hours of continuing education credit for the Symposium.
Maggiano's Little Italy
111 W. Grand Avenue
Valet parking is available at Maggiano’s for $16/day. Other street parking is extremely limited.
Registration and a continental breakfast will be available at 7:30 am; the program begins at 8. Lunch will be provided. The program concludes at 5 pm.
The registration fee is just $255 for members and $380 for non-members through March 18, 2019. After that, prices increase to $380 and $430, respectively.
The Symposium registration fee will be waived for presenting authors of a full presentation (not the Pearl session)
Limited Exhibitor Opportunities are available. The exhibit fee is $825 and includes recognition the program, mention from the podium, one admission to the Bridge Symposium, and access to participants during breakfast, lunch and breaks during the day. For more information or to reserve your space online, please visit this page.
There are four different levels of corporate sponsorship:
- Platinum: $1,000 – Recognition in program, display of a poster at event, and recognition for sponsoring lunch.
- Gold: $850 – Recognition in the program, display of a poster at event, and recognition during the technical session for sponsoring one of the following: Continental Breakfast, Morning Break or Afternoon Break
- Silver: $600 – Recognition in the program and display of a poster at event
- Bronze: $300 – Recognition in the program
Companies interested in sponsoring this event are invited to register here.
Soliman Khudeira, PhD, SE, PE (Committee Chair) - Chicago DOT
Parabhu Ananthan, SE, PE - CMT
Maen Farhat, PhD – LOCHNER
Phillip D. Frey, SE, PE - T.Y. Lin International
Moussa A. Issa, PhD, SE, PE - HBM Engineering Group
Lawrence L. Kirchner, SE, PE – TranSystems
Majid Mobasseri, PhD, SE, PE – CBBEL
Olufemi Oladeinde, SE, PE, SDIENGR Corp.
Tom Palansky, PE, - Professional Services Industries
Tony Shkurti, PhD, SE, PE – HNTB Corporation
Chris Stine, SE, PE - AECOM
Brian Umbright, SE, PE – EXP US Services
Stephanie Crain (Executive Director) – SEAOI