The Structural Engineers Association of Illinois announces its Call for Entries in the Excellence in Structural Engineering Awards Program for 2023, the 44th annual awards event conducted by the association. The Excellence in Structural Engineering Awards Competition takes place each year to recognize creative achievement in structural engineering via innovative structural designs and individual contributions that advance the profession.
To recognize creative achievement in structural engineering via innovative structural designs and individual contributions that advance the profession.
Projects completed since January 1, 2020 are eligible. Projects must be completed or under construction as of January 1, 2023. Incomplete projects must be sufficiently complete to clearly show the basic design of the structural system. For this awards program, “design” may refer to the overall structure or an element that performs a key function within the completed structure. Any type or size of project may be entered, including new projects, renovations, preservation, rehabilitation, and adaptive reuse projects. The project need not be located in Illinois, but at least one member of the design team, or a principal of the firm responsible for the entry, shall be a member of SEAOI. Submitting an application for membership with an entry will satisfy this requirement. For entries in the Best Neighboring State category, at least one member of the design team, or a principal of the firm responsible for the entry, shall be a member of a neighboring state Structural Engineers Association.
Categories of Awards
Awards will be presented for the following:
- Juror’s Favorite/Most Innovative Structure
- Best Bridge/Transportation Project
- Best Industrial /Utility Project
- Best Renovation/Retrofit/Preservation Project
- Best Special Structure
- Best Project – over $150 million
- Best Project – $50 million up to $150 million
- Best Project – $10 million up to $50 million
- Best Project – up to $10 million
- Lavicka Award – Small Firm/Small Project
- Best Neighboring State Project – designer located in a state neighboring Illinois
Project categories apply to total construction costs. The bridge/transportation category applies to any size of bridge; however, entries can be also submitted in individual cost categories. The winner of the Jurors’ Favorite/Most Innovative will be selected from entries in all categories.
One project will be selected to receive the Juror’s Favorite/Most Innovative Structure award. A project selected in this category, however, will not simultaneously be selected in one of the Best Project categories. Similarly, projects awarded the Best Bridge/Transportation and Best Renovation/Retrofit/Preservation Projects will not simultaneously be selected in one of the categories classified by construction cost. Finalists will be selected to make presentations at the SEAOI dinner meeting in May. One finalist will be selected to win each category of award. Finalists not selected as Juror’s Favorite/Most Innovative Structure or Best Project will receive Awards of Merit.
SEAOI and the Judging Panel reserve the right to withhold an award in a particular category should no entry be deemed worthy.
Congratulations to the 2022 Winners
Shade Garden Structures
Forefront Structural Engineers
Best Project - up to $10 Million
Downers Grove North HS Commons Roof
Downers Grove, IL
Wight & Company
Best Project - $10 Million to $50 Million
I-40 Hernando de Soto Bridge
Memphis, TN to West Memphis, AR
Michael Baker International
Best Project - $50 Million to $150 Million
800 Fulton Market
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
Best Project - over $150 Million
Magnusson Klemencic Associates
Best Renovation/Retrofit Project
Tribune Tower Complex Redevelopment
Best Bridge/Transportation Project
Midway International Checkpoint Expansion
Jacobs Engineering Group
Best Special Structure
SPLAM Timber Pavilion
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
Jurors' Favorite/Most Innovative Structure
Cantilevered Work Platform at 730 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY
Gilsanz Murray Steficek LLP
Congratulations to the 2022 Finalists!
- OSF HealthCare Ministry Headquarters Renovation, Thornton Tomasetti
- UIUC Siebel Center for Design, Silman
- Tribune Tower Complex Redevelopment, TGRWA
- The Ayer, Cary Kopczynski & Company
- The Arkansas Museum of Fine Arts, Thornton Tomasetti
- Steppenwolf Theatre Expansion, Thornton Tomasetti
- SPLAM Timber Pavilion, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
- Shade Garden Structures, Forefront Structural Engineers
- Rainier Square, Magnusson Klemencic Associates
- Wave One, BASE
- Montrose Avenue over FAI 90/94, Ciorba Group, Inc.
- Midway International Checkpoint Expansion, Jacobs Engineering Group Inc.
- Lakefront Trail #3 - Lakeshore Drive Bascule over the Chicago River, TYLin and WSP
- I-74 over the Mississippi River, Alfred Benesch & Company
- I-40 Hernando de Soto Bridge, Michael Baker International
- Fort Industry Square, GEI Consultants
- Fulton East, BASE
- Downers Grove North HS Commons Roof, Wight & Company
- Cantilevered Work Platform at 730 Fifth Avenue, Gilsanz Murray Steficek LLP
- 800 Fulton Market, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
- 300 North Michigan Avenue, WSP