The Structural Engineers Association of Illinois announces its Call for Entries in the Excellence in Structural Engineering Awards Program for 2024, the 45th annual awards event conducted by the association. The Excellence in Structural Engineering Awards Competition takes place each year to recognize creative achievement in structural engineering via innovative structural designs and individual contributions that advance the profession.
To recognize creative achievement in structural engineering via innovative structural designs and individual contributions that advance the profession.
Projects completed since January 1, 2021 are eligible. Projects must be completed or under construction as of January 1, 2024. Incomplete projects must be sufficiently complete to clearly show the basic design of the structural system. For this awards program, “design” may refer to the overall structure or an element that performs a key function within the completed structure. Any type or size of project may be entered, including new projects, renovations, preservation, rehabilitation, and adaptive reuse projects. The project need not be located in Illinois, but at least one member of the design team, or a principal of the firm responsible for the entry, shall be a member of SEAOI. Submitting an application for membership with an entry will satisfy this requirement. For entries in the Best Neighboring State category, at least one member of the design team, or a principal of the firm responsible for the entry, shall be a member of a neighboring state Structural Engineers Association.
Categories of Awards
Awards will be presented for the following:
- Juror’s Favorite/Most Innovative Structure
- Best Bridge/Transportation Project
- Best Industrial /Utility Project
- Best Renovation/Retrofit/Preservation Project
- Best Special Structure
- Best Project – over $150 million
- Best Project – $50 million up to $150 million
- Best Project – $10 million up to $50 million
- Best Project – up to $10 million
- Lavicka Award – Small Firm/Small Project
- Best Neighboring State Project – designer located in a state neighboring Illinois
Project categories apply to total construction costs. The bridge/transportation category applies to any size of bridge; however, entries can be also submitted in individual cost categories. The winner of the Jurors’ Favorite/Most Innovative will be selected from entries in all categories.
One project will be selected to receive the Juror’s Favorite/Most Innovative Structure award. A project selected in this category, however, will not simultaneously be selected in one of the Best Project categories. Similarly, projects awarded the Best Bridge/Transportation and Best Renovation/Retrofit/Preservation Projects will not simultaneously be selected in one of the categories classified by construction cost. Finalists will be selected to make presentations at the SEAOI dinner meeting in May. One finalist will be selected to win each category of award. Finalists not selected as Juror’s Favorite/Most Innovative Structure or Best Project will receive Awards of Merit.
SEAOI and the Judging Panel reserve the right to withhold an award in a particular category should no entry be deemed worthy.
Congratulations to the 2023 Winners
Royal Oak, MI
Three Pillar Structural Engineering Group
Best Project - up to $10 Million
SOS Children's Villages Roosevelt Square Community Center
Best Renovation/Retrofit/Preservation Project
St. Francis Downtown Tower Modernization
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Best Project - $10 Million to $50 Million
The Salt Shed
FOREFRONT Structural Engineers, Inc.
Trinity University Dicke Hall
San Antonio, TX
Best Bridge/Transportation Project
Central Tri-State Tollway (1-294) Mile Long Bridge
Willow Springs, IL
Best Project - $50 Million to $150 Million
UIUC Campus Instructional Facility
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
Best Project - over $150 Million
Nashville International Airport Terminal Lobby and International Arrivals Facility Addition
Magnusson Klemencic Associates
Jurors' Favorite/Most Innovative Structure
Congratulations to the 2023 Finalists!
- Alcove – 900 Church, DeSimone Consulting Engineers
- Allegheny Health Network - Wexford Hospital, HKS Inc.
- Allegiant Stadium, Arup
- Beppe Restaurant, Three Pillars Structural Engineering Group
- Central Tri-State Tollway (1-294) Mile Long Bridge, Lochner/HDR/Quigg Engineering
- College of Lake County Student Center, IMEG Corp.
- Ko'ula, BASE
- Nashville International Airport Terminal Lobby and International Arrivals Facility Addition, Magnusson Klemencic Associates
- North Austin Community Center, Forefront Structural Engineers, Inc.
- Northwestern Medicine Galter-Feinberg Connector, SmithGroup
- O’Hare International Airport Elevate Parking Structure Repairs, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
- Seattle House, Cary Kopczynski & Company
- SOS Children's Villages Roosevelt Square Community Center, TGRWA
- St. Francis Downtown, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
- The Ascent, Thornton Tomasetti
- The Salt Shed, Forefront Structural Engineers, Inc.
- Third Avenue Bridge, HNTB
- Trinity University Dicke Hall, Datum Engineers
- UIUC Campus Instructional Facility, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill