Bridge Solutions Advisor
For nearly 100 years, the American Institute of Steel Construction has been the leading advocate and trusted resource for American structural steel. These business development representatives build and retain strong relationships in the design and construction community by being visibly present in target cities, while leveraging the resources and expertise of AISC to deliver better project outcomes. The primary responsibility of this role is to educate the design and construction community about the benefits of structural steel with the goal of influencing them to select structural steel framing systems for the projects over which they can exercise influence.
Do you love to design bridges but looking for a career that allows more creativity to explore options using structural steel? If so, this position provides that and so much more!
Job Description: Bridge Solutions Advisor (NSBA / AISC Steel Solutions Center Advisor)
Reports to: NSBA Director of Market Development
The Steel Solutions Center Senior Advisor is responsible for developing and reviewing innovative conceptual solutions for bridge structures while assisting NSBA Bridge Steel Specialists, NSBA Directors of Market Development, and AISC staff in increasing the use of structural steel for bridges. This person will also interact with AISC Engineering & Research to provide technical assistance from the Steel Solutions Center for the design community, construction industry, and others, in addition to general marketing and technical activities, to make structural steel easier to design and specify.
The candidate will also leverage their technical know-how to develop a marketing awareness of NSBA resources and services among the steel bridge design community and construction industry. The position is responsible to the NSBA Director of Market Development for market development activities and to the NSBA Chief Bridge Engineer for technical assistance activities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
· Assist in the qualification, development, and review of bridge conceptual solutions with both internal staff and external clients.
· Provide innovative and economical bridge conceptual solutions, including schematic analysis and cost and schedule information for a variety of bridge structures that have been qualified to be evaluated in the Steel Solutions Center by the Director of Market Development.
· Develop prototypes for various span arrangements that exploit the benefits of steel to beat our competition in the bridge market to better serve the transportation industry and its decision-maker base.
· Manage multiple conceptual projects, independently establishing goals and schedules for each one.
· Provide prompt answers to technical inquiries via email or phone, as appropriate. The level of the technical inquiry that is assigned to be answered and reviewed will be agreed upon by the Director of Technical Assistance and NSBA Chief Bridge Engineer with increasing responsibility as competency increases over time.
· Assist in the ongoing development of resources and tools for AISC/NSBA staff and the steel bridge industry.
· Provide technical information to the AISC/NSBA website, Modern Steel Construction magazine (including SteelQuiz, SteelInterchange and SteelWise), AISC Engineering Journal, and other appropriate internal and external communication channels.
Additional Duties & Responsibilities
· Serve as a Secretary for an NSBA/AASHTO Collaboration task group.
· Attend AISC and NSBA meetings and events, including NASCC: The Steel Conference, World Bridge Symposium, NSBA/AASHTO Collaboration meetings, and others as assigned
· Author technical content for the World Steel Bridge Symposium and NASCC: The Steel Conference
· Develop and update presentations on bridge solutions utilizing structural steel for NSBA and AISC market development staff.
· Carry out special projects as assigned.
● Analysis & Problem Solving. Expert knowledge of steel bridge design and the construction industry. The ability to share and expand on previous technical expertise/niche areas with the institute and the industry. Able to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of conceptual problems.
● Communication & Influence. Comprehensive verbal/written communication skills to translate complex ideas clearly and concisely to inform and influence others.
● Customer Service Orientation. Focused on continuous improvement of the Steel Solutions Center’s level of service quality.
● Project Management. Experience related to analyzing costs and schedules is preferred. Well- organized and able to work in a team environment.
● Technical. Proficiency with structural design software and drafting software and an ability to learn additional programs as required (espan140, SIMON, Salesforce, etc.). Other recommended computer software knowledge includes the Google Suite (Mail, Docs, Slides, Sheets) and Microsoft Office Suite programs, specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Education and/or Experience
● Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering with minimum of five years relevant work experience in bridge design and construction using AASHTO and state DOT bridge design standards, procedures, and requirements.
● Master of Science degree and SE and/or PE preferred.
● Knowledge of industry standard bridge/structural software and a demonstrated ability to cultivate and maintain professional relationships are essential.
● Ability to travel up to 10% of the time.