Senior Structural Engineer
Atlas is a professional licensed consulting firm specializing in civil/transportation/rail design engineering, structural design engineering, water resources, construction management, surveying, and program management. Work out of our offices in the City of Chicago (right on the Chicago River), Northbrook, IL, or Valparaiso, IN. Flexibility to work remotely part-time. Seeking staff with a positive, proactive attitude, who are integral to the foundation of our organization, and the key to everyone's success. Join a team with a culture which welcomes everyone's perspectives and voices and become a part of a dynamic organization that delivers a passion for what we do and a vision for enhancing the communities and ever-changing environment that surround us.
The successful candidate will be given the opportunity to represent the firm, develop and maintain client relationships, lead proposal development, participate in interviews, and be a visible and active member of the transportation community through professional organization involvement. Marketing and project pursuit experience are key requirements of this position. The position also involves preparation of proposals, scopes, budgets, and schedules; day-to-day communication (oral and written) with the client; support and advise junior engineers and technical staff; and manage sub-consultants. Atlas is committed to assist you in advancing your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way in a collaborative culture.
This position is a leadership role for leading a staff of design engineers and technicians in all aspects of design and plan preparation for bridge and structural projects. Our clients vary from federal, state, and local governments; railroads and transit agencies; and collar county DOTs.
The primary responsibility is to lead and manage projects and staff. This individual must be capable of developing highly innovative, creative, and efficient design solutions and be the point of contact with clients. Must have an established design reputation, and positive client references. Has the ability to guide initial design concepts and ideas from pursuit and selection through successful project completion on multiple projects. Capable of meeting technical goals while meeting management goals and project budgets. Have initiative to teach and train other designers and interdisciplinary project teams in the essentials of design. Effective in mentoring and developing junior design staff, challenging, inspiring and/or motivating others.
Will assist in identifying, attracting, mentoring, and retaining key design staff, and will be responsible for targeting and developing strategies for hiring senior and junior design talent. Must be active in local, national, or international professional design related organizations.
This position will work in a team environment, make sound engineering decisions, provide direction to staff, and coordinate the workload of projects. Lead, assign, and review work of the project delivery team; check work through QC and QA procedures; monitor progress; identify changes of scope and additional services; mentor staff; collaborate with all team disciplines: and manage the project scope, budget, and schedule.
* Actively participates in the business development and proposal writing
* Develop and nurture relationships with key clients as part of the firm’s strategic plans
* Develop new business and win bridge and structural work
* Represents the organization at professional organizations and conferences
* Leads project meetings and makes presentations
* Performs Earned Value Management of projects
* Supervision, mentoring, professional development, and evaluation of Division staff members
* Works with executive management in setting Division budgets, goals, and forecasts
* Leads an active mentoring role; motivates and develops staff for career advancement
* Maintain current knowledge of industry services, projects, and trends
* Track assignments to staff to meet project schedules
* Manages structural aspects of projects and/or multi-disciplinary projects
* Approves structural analysis and design, including signing and sealing deliverables
* Quality control and quality assurance
* Establish budgets for the Division
* Performs other duties as assigned
* BSCE degree with structural major, MSCE preferred, from an ABET/EAC accredited program
* 4-10 years of experience in bridge design
* Structural Engineer (SE) License is strongly preferred
* Professional Engineer (PE) License required
* Familiarity with IDOT, Tollway and Local Agencies
* Proven experience in developing and leading final engineering deliverables
* Project and staff management experience
* Experience leading tasks and design teams
* Excellent written and verbal skills
* Excellent leadership and mentoring skills