Structural Health Monitoring: Present and Future
Structural health monitoring (SHM) is an area of our industry that has advanced significantly over the past decade. This presentation will cover the basics of SHM, the current state of the industry, the challenges of monitoring physical infrastructure and examine several case studies. It will also discuss the ways that SHM can make us better designers, review upcoming technology including machine learning and computer vision, and examine future industry trends.
- Goals of conventional structural health monitoring
- Challenges of monitoring
- Review of several case studies and how challenges were overcome
- Upcoming technology
Introduction to WIM Technologies
Invented in the 1950s, Weigh-in-Motion (WIM) technologies have evolved over time and become an integral part of transportation management. The first half of the webinar will introduce the fundamentals of WIM, introducing electronic components at a WIM site, different sensor types, how to select the most suitable WIM technology for different applications, and related standards and specifications. Challenges of WIM data collection and corresponding solutions will be discussed. This will be followed by an overview of different WIM applications in the world such as traffic data collection, tolling, enforcement and overweight permitting, supported by various case studies.
- Understand goals of WIM data collection
- Recognize differences between 4 main WIM sensor types
- Identify Standards and Specifications for WIM deployment in the US and in the world
- Learn about WIM applications in the US and in the world
- Review of several case studies